All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.29
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.70
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.67
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.62
About this product
- DescriptionIn his newest vel, A Tiler's Afteron, Lars Gustafsson invites us to share a day's work with Torsten Bergman, an aging, semi-retired tile-layer. On this particular day, Torsten arrives at an empty suburban villa, partially revated and left unfinished. A master craftsman, he kws what to do and goes about his business, all the while reminiscing over his past, considering what may be left of his future, daydreaming about the mysterious Sophie K., the absent occupant of the villa's upstairs flat. No one checks on the work. With the close of the day comes Torsten's growing unease over hours spent on perhaps futile labor. But at that moment there was a loud kcking at the door - , more of a pounding than a kcking. It sounded as if by some strange coincidence the whole world had come to life again and was trying to get in. Like Samuel Beckett, Lars Gustafsson turns the plainest of circumstances into poignant universals. There are yet roads to travel after we say we cant go on.
- PrizesShortlisted for IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 1997.
- Author(s)Lars Gustafsson
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication01/07/1993
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight140 g
- Width137 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byTom Geddes
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.