All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
About this product
- DescriptionA Touch of Splendor: A Memoir of a devoted family in a hectic world and a set of irrepressible friends...tingling for adventure! Paperback - Large Print and Kindle Edition With poignant and artful storytelling that will touch the heart, A Touch of Splendor is a memoir that wonderfully depicts three young sisters-preacher's daughters each with her own personality-and their neighborhood friend, Leonard Martin-growing up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, in the 1930s and 1940s. Each story will will tug at your heartstrings and rekindle warm memories of days gone by. It's like the reader becomes a member of this family through the adventures and misadventures of carefree and trouble-free youth. Follow gentle Lila Belle, feisty Joyce, and little Jeanne and their exploits and escapades around Las Cruces during the Depression and World War II. You will laugh out loud as Lila tries to keep younger sister Joyce in line, despite Joyce's propensity to say and do the first things that pop into her mischievous and inquisitive brain. Also, the depiction of the Martin family illustrates the empathy children can show for people less well off and portrays Leonard's strengths instead of weaknesses. That is a tribute to the girls' parents and the values they instilled in their children, who are charming, honest, and forthright-with little tolerance for neighborhood bullies-showing what makes for great friendships and a loving family. This book is an excellent and enjoyable read.
- Author BiographyA Touch of Splendor is Lila Hopkins' sixth book. She has written a children's book-Eating Crow-and its sequel, Talking Turkey, both of which won the North Carolina Juvenile Literature Award. Mrs. Hopkins also has written several regional novels-Weave Me a Song, Strike a Golden Chord, The Master Craftsman, and Mabel's Way. Each of these books has won the Book of the Year Award from High Country Writers. Lila and Richard Hopkins are graduates of Hardin-Simmons University. They moved from their beloved mountain home over a decade ago to a Continuing Care Retirement Community in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, where they fell in love with the residents, staff, and amenities at Windsor Point. Lila continues to teach a Memoir Writing Class at Windsor Point. The Hopkins have four children and seven grandchildren. One son and daughter also live in North Carolina, and their other two sons live in the California Bay Area. The Hopkins will soon celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. Lila had written for her church denomination for years before she retired from teaching and began writing fiction and this memoir. She is also an artist, and painted the watercolor of her family's church in Las Cruces, New Mexico, that appears on A Touch of Splendor's cover.
- Author(s)Lila Hopkins
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication11/02/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Out-of-print date31/03/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.