Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionA Tyranus Eye: Eudora Welty's Nonfiction and Photographs is the first book-length study of Eudora Welty's full range of achievements in nfiction and photography. A preeminent Welty scholar, Pearl Amelia McHaney offers clear-eyed and complex assessments of Welty's journalism, book reviews, letters, essays, autobiography, and photographs. Each chapter focuses on one genre, filling in gaps left by previous books. With keen skills of observation, finely tuned senses, intellect, wit, awareness of audience, and modesty, Welty applied her genius in all that she did, holding a tough line on truth, breaking through the veil of indifference to each other's presence, each other's wonder, each other's plight. McHaney's study brings critical attention to the under-evaluated genres of Welty's work and discusses the purposeful use of arguments, examples, and styles, demonstrating that Welty pursued her craft to a high standard across genres with a greater awareness of context than she admitted in her numerous interviews. Welty consistently dared new styles, new audiences, and new publishing venues in order to express her ideas to their fullest, always with readers in mind. It is serious daring, as she wrote in One Writer's Beginnings, that makes for great writing. In Place in Fiction, Welty asks, How can you go out on a limb if you do t kw your own tree? No art ever came out of t risking your neck. And risk--experiment--is a considerable part of the joy of doing.
- Author BiographyPearl Amelia McHaney, Decatur, Georgia, is associate dean for fine arts, director of the Center for Collaborative and International Arts, and associate professor of English at Georgia State University. She has edited multiple volumes of Eudora Welty's work, including Occasions: Selected Writings; Eudora Welty as Photographer; and A Writer's Eye: Collected Book Reviews, all published by the University Press of Mississippi.
- Author(s)Pearl Amelia McHaney
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectFiction Companions
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note20|20 black & white photographs
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.