Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $18.00Trending at AU $27.65
- AU $30.60Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $30.15Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $32.07Trending at AU $34.41
About this product
- DescriptionAt the age of 47, when he a successful publishing executive and living with his wife and four children in an affluent Chicago suburb, John Shafer made the surprise anuncement that he had purchased a vineyard in the Napa Valley. In 1973, he moved his family to California and, with kwledge of winemaking, began the journey that would lead him, thirty years later, to own and operate what distinguished wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. called one of the world's greatest wineries . This book, narrated by Shafer's son Doug, is a personal account of how his father turned his midlife dream into a remarkable success story. Set against the backdrop of Napa Valley's transformation from a rural backwater in the '70s through its emergence today as one of the top wine regions in the world, the book begins with the winery's shaky start and takes the reader through the father and son's ongoing battles against killer bugs, cellar disasters, local politics, changing consumer tastes, and the volatility of nature itself. Doug Shafer tells the story of his own education, as well as Shafer Vineyards' invative efforts to be environmentally sustainable, its role in spearheading the designation of a Stags Leap American Viticultural Area, and how the wine industry has changed in the contemporary era of custom-crushing and hobbyist winery investors.
- Author BiographyDoug Shafer is President of Shafer Vineyards. He and his father were winners of the 2010 James Beard Foundation Award for Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional.
- Author(s)Doug Shafer
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2012
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight581 g
- Width159 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.