All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionUsing historical and literary references and personal narrative, this self-guided tour of the Naval Academy grounds - kwn as The Yard - takes visitors on a tour of the Annapolis institution that has been educating midshipmen for more than 150 years. Visitors can immerse themselves in the Academy's culture and linger over what appeals to them most, be it a painting in the museum, an old war hero's gravestone or the architectural history of the chapel. To help visitors appreciate the occasion more fully, the authors have included quotations from famous graduates, excerpts from vels and songs about Academy life, anecdotes about events that took place in various buildings, facts about the architecture, and simple instructions about where to stand to compare a modern-day view with a historic photograph. A detailed tour of the cemetery is included along with a discussion of the work of architect Ernest Flagg, who designed Bancroft Hall, the Chapel, and many other Academy buildings that comprise the largest collection of Beaux-Arts architecture in the United States. The book serves both as a companion guide and a memorable keepsake to be enjoyed for years to come. The soft cover and spiral binding are user friendly yet sturdy eugh to survive countless visits.
- Author BiographyTaylor Baldwin Kiland, a former lieutenant in the US Navy, is the third generation in her family to serve. A resident of Arlington, Virginia, she is the coauthor of two other books with military themes. Jamie Howren has been a portrait and landscape photographer for fifteen years and her photographs are featured in books and educational brochures. She lives in Ranch Santa Margarita, California.
- Author(s)Jamie Howren,Taylor Baldwin
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Note75 photographs, 2 maps
- Weight222 g
- Width110 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.