All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlexandra Deutsch literally unpacks Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte's personal belongings in this intuitively sophisticated material culture biography of the woman whose seductive beauty and tragic marriage repeatedly pulls us back for ather look and, ideally, a deeper understanding of the person behind the celebrity. In addition to letters and portraits, Deutsch found bits of the story in previously overlooked objects in the vast Bonaparte family collections. Long overlooked textile scraps, for example, tell rich stories of forgiveness gifts from Jerome to Elizabeth. A lone red account book contains a record of her finances, yet turned 180 degrees reads like a journal, providing some of the most powerful evidence of Elizabeth's internal struggles during the French trial over her son's legitimacy. The volume is likely one of the five in which she recorded a skeleton of a memoir. Deutsch pays equal attention to the lives of Elizabeth's son Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, Bo, and grandsons Jerome Jr. and Charles, deftly exploring how the members of these next generations defined and perpetuated their royal heritage through material possessions. This work truly expands Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte's story beyond the mesalliance with Napoleon's younger brother and reveals the complex life of a romantic and rebellious young woman whose deep hurt drove her to the courts of Europe and who ultimately found comfort and satisfaction in her hard-won financial independence. In this well-balanced and exceptionally sensitive work, Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte finally breathes.
- Author BiographyAlexandra Deutsch is chief curator at the Maryland Historical Society. This work is an extension of her nationally acclaimed exhibit Woman of Two Worlds: Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte and Her Quest for an Imperial Legacy.
- Author(s)Alexandra Deutsch
- PublisherMaryland Historical Society
- Date of Publication23/03/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMaryland Historical Society
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1032 g
- Width216 mm
- Height278 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.