All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt's 1965, and in Primrose Hill, rth London, a beautiful young woman has just gassed herself to death, leaving behind a suicide te, two small children, and an about-to-be-published manuscript: The Captive Wife. Like Sylvia Plath, who died in eerily similar circumstances two years earlier just two streets away, Hannah Gavron was a writer. But one had ever imagined that she might take her own life. Bright, sophisticated, and swept up in the progressive politics of the 1960s, Hannah was a promising academic and the wife of a rising entrepreneur. Surrounded by success, she seemed to live a gilded life. But there was ather side to Hannah, as Jeremy Gavron's searching memoir of his mother reveals. Piecing together the events that led to his mother's suicide when he was just four, he discovers that Hannah's success came at a price, and that the pressures she faced as she carved out her place in a man's world may have contributed to her death. Searching for the mother who was never talked about as he grew up, he discovers letters, diaries, and photos that paint a picture of a brilliant but complex young woman grappling to find an outlet for her creativity, sexuality, and intelligence. A Woman on the Edge of Time t only documents the too-short life of an extraordinary woman; it is a searching examination of the suffocating constrictions in place on intelligent, ambitious women in the middle of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyJEREMY GAVRON is the author of two non-fiction books and three novels, including The Book of Israel, winner of the Encore Award, and An Acre of Barren Ground. A former foreign correspondent in Africa and India, he lives now in London, and teaches at Warren Wilson College in North Carolina.
- PrizesShortlisted for Gordon Burn Prize 2016.
- Author(s)Jeremy Gavron
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication05/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Weight427 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.