All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionA Word Fitly Spoken explores significant poetic devices within the four alphabetic acrostic psalms found in Book I of the Psalter. The majority of scholarly opinion has been that these acrostics are poetically and artistically deficient due to the writers' and editors' preoccupation with the alphabetic pattern. In contrast to this view, A Word Fitly Spoken proposes that the acrostic pattern contributes to, rather than detracts from, the poetic artistry of these psalms. In an effort to promote a holistic, canical reading of the four acrostic poems within Book I of the Psalter, this study also examines the linguistic and grammatical connections within the text. Such a close reading repeatedly demonstrates the emotive power and the imagination of this literature in contradiction to its supposedly stiff, wooden nature. A Word Fitly Spoken is attuned to the frequent plays on word and sound that occur throughout these four poems and as such would be useful in graduate courses on biblical interpretation, Hebrew poetry, or the Psalms.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Les D. Maloney is currently serving as a U.S. Army Reserve chaplain at Fort Hood, Texas, ministering to the families of soldiers deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. A graduate of Harding University Graduate School of Religion and Lubbock Christian University, Chaplain Maloney received his Ph.D. from Baylor University. He is the author of several articles that have appeared in Restoration Quarterly as well as a series of articles on the U.S. Army chaplaincy in Iraq (2003-2004) in Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
- Author(s)Les D. Maloney
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleStudies in Biblical Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number119
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2008
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight400 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.