All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fall of 1850 Henry Thoreau embarked upon an excursion into the French-Canadian province of Quebec, with stops in Montreal and Quebec City. His reactions to the foreign country are mixed and ambivalent: he is critical of Canada s Old World Catholicism, feudalism, and an alien British military presence while most of his references to America and Americans are favorable. But if one looks closely, positive reactions to Canadian society and negative reactions to American society do exist within the essay. A YANKEE IN CANADA is a study in paradox, the paradox being due to a man stunned by his only international experience. In this sense A YANKEE IN CANADA parallels Mark Twain s INNOCENTS ABROAD in that both authors are experiencing culture shock expressed with all the elements of a mental twilight zone of grays, t just black and white. Unlike the many facsimile reproductions available, this edition features a modern design that enhances readability. A YANKEE IN CANADA is w part of the Literary Naturalist Series and features a new foreword by ted literary scholar Richard F. Fleck.
- Author BiographyRichard Fleck is author of DESERT RIMS TO MOUNTAINS HIGH, and also foreword writer for the WestWinds Press: Literary Naturalist Series which includes ALASKA DAYS WITH JOHN MUIR, THE MAINE WOODS, and THE CRUISE OF THE CORWIN. He is editor of A COLORADO RIVER READER. At age seventy-six he remains active by climbing mountains and guiding Sierra Club hikes in Colorado and Utah. He is married to Maura and has three children and seven grandchildren.
- Author(s)Henry David Thoreau
- PublisherWestwinds Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2016
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleLiterary Naturalist
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestwinds Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight322 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Foreword byRichard F Fleck
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.