CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.08Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionAnthropologist and author Zora Neale Hurston (1891-1960) is one of the most significant African American writers of the 20th century. Born in Alabama, she grew up in a small town in Florida, where she developed an interest in African American folklore. In 1925 she moved to New York and became part of the Harlem Renaissance, meeting such figures as Langston Hughes and Carl Van Vechten. She continued her anthropological research at Barnard under Franz Boas, and African American folklore became central to her fiction. She is best remembered as the author of ^IJonah's Gourd Vine,^R ^ITheir Eyes Were Watching God,^R and ^IMules and Men,^R her study of African American folklore of the South. This reference is a convenient and thorough guide to her life and writings. A chrology outlines the major events in her life and her most significant accomplishments, while a short biography offers a narrative assessment of her career. The heart of the book is a collection of hundreds of alphabetically arranged entries. These cover her works, characters, themes, motifs, family members, and acquaintances. Entries for the most important topics include suggestions for further reading, and the volume closes with extensive primary and secondary bibliographies.
- Author BiographyROBERT W. CROFT is Associate Professor of English at Gainesville College. His previous books include Anne Tyler: A Bio-Bibliography (1995) and An Anne Tyler Companion (1998), both available from Greenwood Press.
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight581 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.