All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Now in paperback, a phemenal blend of science and cultural history (<i>Kirkus Reviews</i>, starred review), <i>About Time</i> gives readers a peek into the cutting edge of cosmology, showing how it is intimately wedded to the texture of our daily lives.</b><b>Our universe's beginning is at an end. </b>What does this have to do with us, here on Earth? Everything. Our lives are about to be dramatically shaken--as altered as they were by the invention of the clock, the steam engine, the railroad, the radio and the Internet. In <i>About Time, </i>astrophysicist Adam Frank allows us a peek into the cutting edge of cosmology, explaining how the texture of our lives changes along with our understanding of the universe's origin. Since we awoke to self-consciousness fifty thousand years ago, our lived experience of time, from hunting and gathering to the invention of cell phones and electronic calendars, has been transformed and rebuilt many times. But the latest theories in cosmology--time with beginning, parallel universes, eternal inflation--are about to send us in a new direction. Time is both our grandest and most intimate conception of the universe. Frank tells the story of humanity's deepest question--when and how did everything begin?--alongside the story of how human beings have experienced time, looking at the way our engagement with the world has allowed us to discover the nature of the universe and how those discoveries inform our daily experience. This astounding book will change the way we think about time and how it affects our lives.
- Author Biography<b>Adam Frank </b>is a professor of astrophysics at the University of Rochester and a regular contributor to <i>Discover</i> and <i>Astronomy</i> magazines. He was a Hubble Fellow and is the recipient of an American Astronomical Society Prize for his scientific writing.
- Author(s)Associate Professor in the Department of English Adam Frank
- PublisherFree Press
- Date of Publication11/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFree Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, maps, figures
- Weight358 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.