All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 325th FG was activated under General Order number 50 on 30 July 1942 and set up training operations at Theodore F Greene Field in Providence, Rhode Island. By mid-December 1942 the group was considered ready for combat and the alert for overseas duty arrived on 2 January 1943. The pilots and their P-40s departed on the carrier USS Ranger on 8 January and flew their aircraft off the vessel into Cazes airfield, near Casablanca, on 19 January 1943. After the remainder of the personnel arrived in late February, the group prepared for combat, and finally flew its first mission on 17 April 1943 as part of the Twelfth Air Force. During the next four months it participated in the North African campaign, and operations against enemy-held islands in the Mediterranean Sea. By the end of the Sicilian campaign on 17 August the 325th FG had scored 128 aerial victories, been the first P-40 unit to deliver 1,000-lb bombs against enemy targets and had escorted 1,100 bombers without losing a single one of them to enemy action.
- Author BiographyThomas G Ivie is a veteran of six years service in the US Army and a retired buyer of developmental parts for a major US jet engine manufacturer. He has had a life long interest in World War II aviation and has written eight books and numerous magazine articles on the subject. One of his books was Osprey Aviation Elite Units 8 - 352nd Fighter Group. His articles have appeared in the Museum of the United States Air Force's Friends Bulletin and in Air Classics magazine.
- Author(s)Tom Ivie
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication09/01/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleAircraft of the Aces
- Series Part/Volume Number117
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note80 b/w; 36 col
- Weight309 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Chris Davey
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.