All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIncludes the plays The Dark River and After October Rodney Ackland is belatedly ackwledged as a master of the British stage, w captivating new audiences. In The Dark River, set in the late thirties, the flamboyant characters are cocooned in a Thames backwater igring the turbulent events of a politically unstable Europe. After October introduces us to Clive, a young playwright struggling to make ends meet, find love and complete his masterpiece. Not easy whilst being hounded by bailiffs and a feckless family.
- Author BiographyRodney Ackland was born in 1908 in Westcliffe-on-Sea, Essex and studied at London's Central School of Speech Training and Dramatic Art. His first play, 'Improper People', was produced at the Arts Theatre Club, London in 1929. After his 1932 West End debut with 'Strange Orchestra', Ackland went on to have many other successes, but his work then fell into virtual obscurity for three decades until 'The Dark River' (1942) was revived at the Orange Tree, Richmond in 1985. It was acclaimed by Hilary Spurling in The Spectator as perhaps the one indisputably great play of the past half century in English . The subsequent success of 'Absolute Hell' at the Orange Tree, Royal National Theatre and on BBC TV in the 1990s restored Ackland's reputation as a great playwright. He died in 1991.
- Author(s)Rodney Ackland
- PublisherOberon Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/1997
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOberon Books Ltd
- Weight318 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byNicholas Dromgoole
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.