All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA sound understanding of statistics and research methods is essential for all psychologists, and these topics are core components of both Advanced Placement and undergraduate psychology curricula. Yet, these courses are often challenging for many students, some of whom may burn out and even give up on psychology altogether. To address this problem, this book offers a comprehensive collection of original, pedagogically sound, classroom-tested activities that engage students, teach principles, and inspire teachers. Each chapter contains classroom exercises in a particular topic area that are practical and easily implemented, and help students learn core principles in ways that are fun and engaging. Whether illustrating basic concepts like variance and standard deviation, correlation, p-values and effect sizes, or teaching strategies for identifying confounding factors, recognizing bias, constructing surveys, and understanding the ethics of behavioral research, each chapter offers clear and compelling tools for engaging students on conceptual and practical levels. The book also includes a handy table that organizes activities by topic area, class level, and length of time to complete, so instructors can quickly pinpoint the content they need.
- Author BiographyJeffrey R. Stowell, PhD, earned his doctoral degree in psychobiology from The Ohio State University. He is a professor and the assistant chair of the psychology department at Eastern Illinois University (EIU), where he teaches courses in biological psychology, sensation and perception, learning, and introductory psychology. He has published articles in Teaching of Psychology, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology, and other teaching-related journals on the use of technology in teaching. He presents regularly at regional psychology conferences and mentors undergraduate and graduate student research. He participated in the 2008 National Conference on Undergraduate Education in Psychology: A Blueprint for the Future of the Discipline. He received the Society for Teaching of Psychology's Early Career Teaching Award and served as the society's Internet editor for 8 years. At EIU, he has earned the honors of Professor Laureate and Distinguished Honors Faculty Award; he is a three-time winner of the Psi Chi Chapter Faculty of the Year Award and has received the College of Sciences' highest awards in three different areas (teaching, research, and service). William E. Addison, PhD, is a professor in the psychology department at EIU, where he has regularly taught courses in statistics and research methods. He is a Fellow and former president of APA Division 2 (Society for the Teaching of Psychology), and he is a charter Fellow of the Midwestern Psychological Association. He has served as a consulting editor and reviewer for the journal Teaching of Psychology, as a member of the GRE Psychology Test Development Committee, and as a faculty consultant for the annual Advanced Placement Exam in Psychology.He participated in the 1999 National Forum on Psychology Partnerships and the 2008 National Conference on Undergraduate Education in Psychology: A Blueprint for the Future of the Discipline. He presents regularly at annual meetings of APA and the Midwestern Psychological Association and at the Midwest Institute for Students and Teachers of Psychology. His publications include teaching-oriented articles in Teaching of Psychology and the College Student Journal.Dr. Addison has received a number of awards for his teaching, including the EIU Distinguished Faculty Award and the EIU Distinguished Honors Faculty Award.
- PublisherAmerican Psychological Association
- Date of Publication30/03/2017
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychological Association
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byJeffrey R. Stowell,William E. Addison
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $28.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.