All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom leading authorities in both adolescent literacy and content-area teaching, this book addresses the particular challenges of literacy learning in each of the major academic disciplines. Chapters focus on how to help students successfully engage with texts and ideas in English/literature, science, math, history, and arts classrooms. The book shows that while general strategies for reading informational texts are essential, they are t eugh-students also need to learn processing strategies that are quite specific to each subject and its typical tasks or problems. Vignettes from exemplary classrooms illustrate research-based ways to build content-area kwledge while targeting essential reading and writing skills.
- Author BiographyTamara L. Jetton, PhD, is Professor in the Department of Teacher Education and Professional Development at Central Michigan University. A former public school teacher for 10 years, she is interested in three particular areas of literacy: strategic reading to improve comprehension in the academic disciplines, learning through classroom discussions, and writing processes. Her research and publications mirror these interests. Dr. Jetton has dedicated her professional career to the goal of helping teachers improve the reading comprehension of adolescents who struggle in the academic disciplines. Cynthia Shanahan, EdD, is Professor of Literacy, Language and Culture; Executive Director of the Council on Teacher Education; and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at the University of Illinois at Chicago. In her role as professor, Dr. Shanahan prepares preservice and inservice teachers to teach middle and high school literacy. She previously taught college students to meet the reading and study demands of their college courses at Georgia State University and the University of Georgia. Her research and teaching interests are in disciplinary literacy.
- PublisherGuilford Publications
- Date of Publication05/03/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGuilford Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight380 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCynthia Hynd Shanahan,Tamara L. Jetton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.