Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionAdor's Poetics of Critique is a critical study of the Marxist culture-critic Theodor W. Ador, a founding member of the Frankfurt school and widely regarded today as its most brilliant exponent. Steven Helmling is centrally concerned with Ador's toriously difficult writing, a feature most commentators ackwledge only to set it aside on the way to an expository account of 'what Ador is saying'. By contrast, Ador's complex writing is the central focus of this study, which includes detailed analysis of Ador's most complex texts, in particular his most famous and complicated work, co-authored with Max Horkheimer, Dialectic of Enlightenment. Helmling argues that Ador's key motifs - dialectic, concept, negation, immanent critique, constellation - are prescriptions t merely for critical thinking, but also for critical writing. For Ador the efficacy of critique is conditioned on how the writing of critique is written. Both in theory and in practice, Ador urges a 'poetics of critique' that is every bit as critical as anything else in his 'critical theory.
- Author BiographySteven Helmling is Professor of English at the University of Delaware, USA. His previous publications include The Success and Failure of Fredric Jameson (SUNY Press, 2001) and The Esoteric Comedies of Carlyle, Newman and Yeats (CUP, 1988).
- Author(s)Steven Helmling
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication20/10/2011
- Series TitleContinuum Studies in Continental Philosophy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight302 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.