All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $7.52Trending at AU $8.17
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.65
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.29
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.74
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $27.99
About this product
- DescriptionWith a fresh geometric approach that incorporates more than 250 illustrations, this textbook sets itself apart from all others in advanced calculus. Besides the classical capstones--the change of variables formula, implicit and inverse function theorems, the integral theorems of Gauss and Stokes--the text treats other important topics in differential analysis, such as Morse's lemma and the Poincare lemma. The ideas behind most topics can be understood with just two or three variables. The book incorporates modern computational tools to give visualization real power. Using 2D and 3D graphics, the book offers new insights into fundamental elements of the calculus of differentiable maps. The geometric theme continues with an analysis of the physical meaning of the divergence and the curl at a level of detail t found in other advanced calculus books. This is a textbook for undergraduates and graduate students in mathematics, the physical sciences, and ecomics. Prerequisites are an introduction to linear algebra and multivariable calculus. There is eugh material for a year-long course on advanced calculus and for a variety of semester courses--including topics in geometry. The measured pace of the book, with its extensive examples and illustrations, make it especially suitable for independent study.
- Author BiographyJames J. Callahan is currently a professor of mathematics at Smith College. His previous Springer book is entitled The Geometry of Spacetime: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity. He was director of the NSF-funded Five College Calculus Project and a coauthor of Calculus in Context.
- Author(s)James Callahan
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/09/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleUndergraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note3 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1154 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.