All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood and nutrients are the original medicine and the shoulders on which modern medicine stands. But in recent decades, food and medicine have taken divergent paths and the natural healing properties of food have been diminished in the wake of modern technical progress. With contributions from highly regarded experts who work on the frontlines of disease management, the bestselling first edition of Advancing Medicine with Food and Nutrients, Food and Nutrients in Disease Management effectively brought food back into the clinical arena, helping physicians put food and nutrients back on the prescription pad. Board-certified in General Preventive Medicine, Ingrid Kohlstadt, MD, MPH has been elected a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition and a Fellow of the American College of Preventive Medicine. Guided by Dr. Kohlstadt, this authoritative reference equips clinicians with the information they need to fully utilize nutritional medicine in their practice. New in the Second Edition * Toxic exposures such as molds, microbial infections, xeestrogens, heavy metals, and inert naparticles *Food safety issues: precautions for patients with preexisting medical conditions, adequate labeling of food allergens such as gluten, potential adverse effects of artificial sweeteners, consequences of applying ionizing radiation to food, food-borne mycotoxins, critical food restrictions following bariatric surgery, precautions for preparing food in the home *Consumer advocacy issues on navigating claims of medical foods and dietary supplements *Physical forces on nutritional needs, such as ultraviolet light initiating vitamin D synthesis, n-ionizing radiation's effects on brain glucose metabolism and excess body fat's effects on inflammation and hydration *Preventive medicine and how to preserve resiliency at the individual and public health levels Written by doctors for doctors, Advancing Medicine with Food and Nutrients, Second Edition reunites food and medicine. Buttressed with new evidence, leading physicians on the frontlines of disease management apply the latest scientific advances to the clinical practice of medicine. Each chapter offers adjuncts to standard care, fewer side effects, improved risk reduction, or added quality of life. An article by Ingrid Kohlstadt on education and nutrition appeared in TIME Magazine online on November 12, 2014.
- Author BiographyIngrid Kohlstadt, MD, is Founding President and Chief Medical Officer at INGRIDients, Inc., a consulting and research service in nutritional medicine. She is also Associate Faculty at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, where she is a lecturer, researcher, and student mentor for identifying nutritional determinants of health in international populations.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication03/01/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note91 black & white illustrations, 103 black & white tables
- Weight1723 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byIngrid Kohlstadt
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.