Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionIn this stimulating, lucid and insightful inquiry, philosopher Elisabeth Schellekens invites readers to reflect on their own opinions about art and morality.Aesthetic and moral value are often seen to go hand in hand. They do so t only practically, such as in our everyday assessments of artworks that raise moral questions, but also theoretically, such as in Kant's theory that beauty is the symbol of morality. Some philosophers have argued that it is in the relation between aesthetic and moral value that the key to an adequate understanding of either tion lies. But difficult questions abound. Must a work of art be morally admirable in order to be aesthetically valuable? How, if at all, do our moral values shape our aesthetic judgements - and vice versa? Aesthetics and Morality is a stimulating and insightful inquiry into precisely this set of questions. Elisabeth Schellekens explores the main ideas and debates at the intersection of aesthetics and moral philosophy. She invites readers to reflect on the nature of beauty, art and morality, and provides the philosophical kwledge to render such reflection more rigorous. This original, inspiring and entertaining book sheds valuable new light on a tably complex and challenging area of thought. The Continuum Aesthetics series looks at the aesthetic questions and issues raised by all major art forms. Stimulating, engaging and accessible, the series offers food for thought t only for students of aesthetics, but also for anyone with an interest in philosophy and the arts.
- Author BiographyElisabeth Schellekens is Lecturer in Philosophy at Durham University, UK.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Schellekens
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/11/2007
- Series TitleContinuum Aesthetics Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight231 g
- Width216 mm
- Height138 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.