All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAffirmative action is a much-debated policy, in employment as well as in education, in the Supreme Court as well as on the street. Yet as this book shows, affirmative action is both sensible and effective, differing little from many other government programs that evoke controversy. Why don't Americans wholeheartedly support affirmative action? In this timely and accessible book, Faye J. Crosby analyzes several different explanations offered by social scientists to answer this important question. Some explanations suggest that opposition stems from a belief that affirmative action functions as a governmentally sanctioned form of reverse racism or sexism, or that it is ineffective or socially disruptive. Other explanations locate the problem in the igrance or prejudice of the people who oppose the policy. Crosby concludes by offering a different explanation, proposing that the American failure to endorse wholeheartedly what is a fair and effective policy arises, ironically, from Americans' infatuation with justice. Smitten with the concept of merit, says Crosby, we are perturbed by a policy that invites us to recognize the complications of social justice.
- Author BiographyFaye J. Crosby is professor of psychology at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is the author of many books and articles, including Justice, Gender and Affirmative Action, and Affirmative Action: The Pros and Cons of Policy and Practice. She also contributed to the preparation of one of the amicus briefs for the recent Supreme Court cases about affirmative action.
- Author(s)Faye J. Crosby
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication09/02/2004
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleCurrent Perspectives in Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.08Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.