All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.66
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $129.71
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $182.59
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $28.85
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.74
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $88.77
About this product
- Description<b>Inspired by a true account, here is the compelling story of a child who arrives in America on the slave ship Amistad and eventually makes her way home to Africa.</b> When a drought hits her homeland in Sierra Leone, nine-year-old Magulu is sold as a pawn by her father in exchange for rice. But before she can work off her debt, an unthinkable chain of events unfolds: a capture by slave traders; weeks in a dark and airless hold; a landing in Cuba, where she and three other children are sold and taken aboard the <i>Amistad</i>; a mutiny aboard ship; a trial in New Haven that eventually goes all the way to the Supreme Court and is argued in the Africans favor by John Quincy Adams. Narrated in a remarkable first-person voice, this fictionalized book of memories of a real-life figure retells history through the eyes of a child from seeing mirrors for the first time and struggling with laughably complicated clothing to longing for family and a home she never forgets. Lush, full-color illustrations by Robert Byrd, plus archival photographs and documents, bring an extraordinary journey to life.
- Author BiographyMonica Edinger is an educator and reviews children s books for the <i>New York Times</i>, <i>The Horn Book</i>, and other publications. She began her teaching career as a Peace Corps volunteer in Sierra Leone. Monica Edinger lives and works in New York City. Robert Byrd is the illustrator of the Newbery Medal winning <i>Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!</i> by Laura Amy Schlitz as well as numerous other award-winning books. He lives in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
- Author(s)Monica Edinger
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication03/10/2013
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Out-of-print date09/03/2015
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations, maps
- Weight431 g
- Width196 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Robert Byrd
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.