All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book firmly links the history of Europe to world history, situating European modernity in its global context. African, American and European Trajectories of Modernity asks why, from some moment onwards, 'Europe' and 'the rest of the world' entered into a particular relationship. This relationship was t merely one of domination but one that was conceived as a kind of superiority; more specifically, as an 'advance' in historical time. Towards this end, the volume first analyses the emergence of this Atlantic modernity, then proceeds to compare aspects of contemporary Southern modernity, focusing on Brazil, Chile and South Africa. Finally, it explores the dynamics of contemporary modernity worldwide, looking at the relationship between past oppression and injustice and expectations for future freedom and justice.
- Author BiographyPeter Wagner is ICREA Research Professor at the University of Barcelona.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleAnnual of European and Global Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight658 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byPeter Wagner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.