All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume reflects a new commitment by American anthropologists to engage in what has been called the anthropology of racism: the analysis of systems of inequality based on biological differences. Comprising 9 papers and related commentary, African Americans In the South examines racism, class stratification and sexism as they bear on the African-American struggle for social justice, equality and cultural identity in the South. The essays fall into three broad categories: ecomic survival strategies, health and reproductive problems and religious responses to the larger society. Essays in the first category discuss African-American teen pregnancy and mutual aid societies. The second group focuses on health practices and kwledge among blacks in a Georgia town, African-American midwifery in North Carolina, an AIDS education program in a Tennessee city and eating habits in rural North Carolina. The essays in the last category emphasize the diversity of the African-American religious experience by focusing on black Pentecostals, Jews and Mormons in the South.
- Author BiographyHans A. Baer is a professor of anthropology at the University of Arkansas, Little Rock. His books include The Black Spiritual Movement: A Religious Response to Racism. Yvonne Jones is an associate professor of anthropology and chairperson of the Department of Pan-African Studies at the University of Louisville. She has conducted extensive research on African American entrepreneurial activities.
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/04/1992
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byHans A. Baer,Yvonne M. Jones
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.