All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionScholars of the African Americas are sometimes segregated from one ather by region or period, by language, or by discipline. Bringing together essays on fashion, the visual arts, film, literature, and history, this volume shows how our understanding of the African diaspora in the Americas can be enriched by crossing disciplinary boundaries to recontextualize images, words, and thoughts as part of a much greater whole. Diaspora describes dispersion, but also the seeding, sowing, or scattering of spores that take root and grow, maturing and adapting within new environments. The examples of diasporic cultural production explored in this volume reflect on loss and dispersal, but they also constitute expansive and dynamic intellectual and artistic production, neither wholly African r wholly American (in the hemispheric sense), whose resonance deeply inflects all of the Americas. African Diaspora in the Cultures of Latin America, the Caribbean, and the United States represents a call for multidisciplinary, collaborative, and complex approaches to the subject of the African diaspora.
- Author BiographyPersephone Braham is associate professor of Spanish and Latin American studies at the University of Delaware.
- PublisherUniversity of Delaware Press
- Date of Publication14/12/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Delaware Press
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 35 colour illustrations, 1 tables
- Weight286 g
- Width147 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byPersephone Braham
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.