All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a child, acclaimed author Edwidge Danticat was terrified by Carnival festivities - until 2002, when she returned home to Haiti determined to understand the lure of this famed event. Here she chronicles her journey to the coastal town of Jacmel, where she met with the performers, artists, and organizers who re-create the myths and legends that bring the festival to life. In the process, Danticat traces the heroic and tragic history of the island, from French colonists and Haitian revolutionaries to American invaders and home-grown dictators. Part travelogue, part memoir, part historical analysis, this is the deeply personal story of a writer rediscovering her country, along with a part of herself--and a wonderful introduction to Haiti's southern coast and to the beauty and passions of Carnival.
- Author BiographyEdwidge Danticat is the author of numerous books, including Claire of the Sea Light, a New York Times notable book; Brother, I'm Dying, a National Book Critics Circle Award winner and National Book Award finalist; Breath, Eyes, Memory, an Oprah Book Club selection; Krik? Krak!, a National Book Award finalist; The Farming of Bones, an American Book Award winner; and The Dew Breaker, a PEN/Faulkner Award finalist and winner of the inaugural Story Prize. The recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship, she has been published in The New Yorker, The New York Times, and elsewhere. She lives in Miami.
- Author(s)Edwidge Danticat
- Date of Publication28/04/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleVintage Departures
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight181 g
- Width132 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $29.48Trending at AU $34.01
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $39.40
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $12.29
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $45.72
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $17.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.