All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionOne night in 1990, a stranger cut the screen out of my bedroom window while I slept and shone a flashlight into my eyes as I woke. A few weeks later, my father came down with temporary amnesia. Although unrelated, these events became linked in my mind, sweeping out from under me the fundamentals I took for granted: safety, freedom, the stability of memory, and a general oblivion to mortality. After the Flashlight Man is the story of how I came to terms with these experiences that threw my life into a whole new light: the self-defense classes, rape crisis volunteer work, writing, and meditation that served as checkpoints along my healing journey while I re-examined events from my childhood and relationships with family and friends. Ultimately, a flashlight turned against me as a bizarre weapon became instead a metaphorical tool that blazed my path, the impetus to reclaim, recast, and tell my own stories, discovering my own power to reinvent my vision of my life.
- Author BiographyNancy McCabe has had her creative nonfiction appear in Prairie Schooner, Fourth Genre, Massachusetts Review, and Puerio del Sol, among others. Her work has received a Pushcart Prize and has been cited twice by Best American Essays. She teaches writing at the University of Pittsburgh in Bradford, PA, where she lives with her daughter.
- Author(s)Nancy McCabe
- PublisherPurdue University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2003
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationWest Lafayette
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPurdue University Press
- Weight367 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.