Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.70Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by pozorbooks
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionClimate change, along with the depletion of oil, coal, and gas, dictate that we will inevitably move away from our profound societal reliance on fossil fuels; but just how big a transformation will this be? While many policy-makers assume that renewable energy sources will provide an easy plug-and-play solution, author Richard Heinberg suggests instead that we are in for a wild ride; a civilization reboot on a scale similar to the agricultural and industrial revolutions. Afterburn consists of fifteen essays exploring various aspects of the twenty-first century migration away from fossil fuels including: * Short-term political and ecomic factors that impede broad-scale, organized efforts to adapt * The origin of longer-term trends (such as consumerism), that have created a way of life that seems rmal to most Americans, but is actually unprecedented, highly fragile, and unsustainable * Potential opportunities and sources of conflict that are likely to emerge From the inevitability and desirability of more locally organized ecomies to the urgent need to preserve our recent cultural achievements and the futility of pursuing ecomic growth above all, Afterburn offers cutting-edge perspectives and insights that challenge conventional thinking about our present, our future, and the choices in our hands. Richard Heinberg is a senior fellow of the Post Carbon Institute, the author of eleven previous books including The Party's Over and The End of Growth. He is widely regarded as one of the world's most effective communicators of the urgent need to transition away from fossil fuels.
- Author BiographyRichard Heinberg is the author of eleven previous award-winning books including The Party's Over, Powerdown, Peak Everything, and The End of Growth. He is a Senior Fellow of the Post Carbon Institute and is widely regarded as one of the world's most effective communicators of the urgent need to transition away from fossil fuels. A recipient of the M. King Hubbert Award for excellence in energy education, Heinberg has given hundreds of lectures on resource depletion to audiences around the world. He has been published in Nature and other journals, and has been featured in many television and theatrical documentaries.
- Author(s)Richard Heinberg
- PublisherNew Society Publishers
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationGabriola Island
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Society Publishers
- Weight328 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.17Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.