Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.64Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionIn the winter of 2009, Rachel Cusk's marriage of ten years came to an end. In the months that followed, life as she had kwn it came apart, like a jigsaw dismantled into a heap of broken-edged pieces . Aftermath chronicles this perilous journey as the author redefines herself as a single woman and creates a new version of family life for her daughters. She discovers previously unkwn strengths and freedoms but also finds herself suddenly vulnerable to outsiders, unwelcome advice, social displacement and the absence of a clear authority. I can't remember what it feels like to be at ease. This ceaseless effort to manufacture rmality is a kind of forger's art, so laborious compared with the facility that created the original. The pressure to reconstruct a 'rmal' life for her daughters competes with the sense that thing feels rmal at all. Aftermathis a masterly work in which the author, at her most candid and rigorous, charts the largely unwritten journey back to order from the chaos that is left when a family breaks apart.
- Author BiographyRachel Cusk was born in 1967 and is the author of seven novels: Saving Agnes, which won the Whitbread First Novel Award, The Temporary, The Country Life, which won a Somerset Maugham Award, The Lucky Ones, which was shortlisted for the Whitbread Novel Award, In the Fold and Arlington Park, which was shortlisted for the Orange Prize and The Bradshaw Variations. Her non-fiction books are A Life's Work and The Last Supper. In 2003 she was chosen as one of Granta's Best of Young Novelists.
- PrizesShortlisted for PEN/Ackerley Prize 2013.
- Author(s)Rachel Cusk
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Out-of-print date23/09/2016
- Weight283 g
- Width143 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.