All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionOn December 6, 1917, harbor pilot Francis Mackey was guiding Mont Blanc, a French munitions ship, into Bedford Basin to join a convoy across the Atlantic when it was rammed by Belgian Relief vessel Imo. The resulting massive explosion destroyed Halifax s rth end and left at least two thousand people dead, including pilot William Hayes aboard Imo. Who was to blame? Federal government and naval officials found in Pilot Mackey a convenient target for public anger. Charged with manslaughter, he was imprisoned, villainized in the press, and denied his pilot s license even after the charges were dropped. A century later he is still unfairly linked to the tragedy. Through interviews with Mackey s relatives, transcripts, letters, and newly exposed government documents, author Janet Maybee explores the circumstances leading up to the Halifax Explosion, the question of fault, and the impact on the pilot and his family of the unjust, deliberate persecution that followed.
- Author BiographyJanet Maybee holds English degrees from UNB and Dalhousie. As research associate at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, her archival studies in Halifax and Ottawa focused on the 1917 Halifax Explosion, particularly the fate of harbor pilot Francis Mackey and his family. Janet lives in that part of Halifax called Richmond before the tragic blast.
- Author(s)Janet Maybee
- PublisherNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Date of Publication07/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight272 g
- Width165 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.