All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInfamous as the inspiration for the vel which slowly corrupts Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray, Joris-Karl Huysmans' Against Nature (A Rebours) is translated by Robert Baldick with an introduction by Patrick McGuinness in Penguin Classics. A wildly original fin-de-siecle vel, Against Nature contains only one character. Des Esseintes is a decadent, ailing aristocrat who retreats to an isolated villa where her indulges his taste for luxury and excess. Veering between nervous excitability and debilitating ennui, he gluts his aesthetic appetites with classical literature and art, exotic jewels (with which he fatally encrusts the shell of his tortoise), rich perfumes and a kaleidoscope of sensual experiences. Against Nature, in the words of the author, exploded 'like a meteorite' and has enjoyed a cult following to this day. This revised edition of Robert Baldick's lucid translation features a new introduction and a chrology, and reproduces Huysmans's original 1903 preface as well as a selection of reviews from writers including Mallarme, Zola and Wilde. Joris-Karl Huysmans (1848-1907) is w recognized as one of the most challenging and invative figures in European literature and an ackwledged principal architect of the fin-de-siecle imagination. He was a career civil servant who wrote ten vels, most tably A Rebours and La-Bas. If you enjoyed Against Nature, you might like Huysmans's The Damned (La-Bas), also available in Penguin Classics.
- Author BiographyBorn in Paris in 1848 and acknowledged as a principal architect of the fin-de-siecle imagination, Joris-Karl Huysmans was a career civil servant who wrote ten novels, most notably A Rebours (1884) and La-Bas (1891). Huysmans died in 1907. Robert Baldick (d.1972) translated widely from the French and wrote a biography of Huysmans. Patrick McGuinness is a Fellow and Tutor in French at St Anne's College, Oxford, and editor of Symbolism, Decadence and the Fin de Siecle (Exeter UP, 2000).
- Author(s)Joris-Karl Huysmans
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notenotes, chronology, further reading
- Weight213 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byPatrick McGuinness,Robert Baldick
- Introduction byPatrick McGuinness
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.