Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein (Paperback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.60Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by pozorbooks
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.95+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Business Week, New York Times Business, and USA Today Bestseller Ambitious and readable ...an engaging introduction to the oddsmakers, whom Bernstein regards as true humanists helping to release mankind from the choke holds of superstition and fatalism. -The New York Times An extraordinarily entertaining and informative book. -The Wall Street Journal A lively paramic book ...Against the Gods sets up an ambitious premise and then delivers on it. -Business Week Deserves to be, and surely will be, widely read. -The Ecomist [A] challenging book, one that may change forever the way people think about the world. -Worth No one else could have written a book of such central importance with so much charm and excitement. -Robert Heilbroner author, The Worldly Philosophers With his wonderful kwledge of the history and current manifestations of risk, Peter Bernstein brings us Against the Gods. Nothing like it will come out of the financial world this year or ever. I speak carefully: one should miss it. -John Kenneth Galbraith Professor of Ecomics Emeritus, Harvard University In this unique exploration of the role of risk in our society, Peter Bernstein argues that the tion of bringing risk under control is one of the central ideas that distinguishes modern times from the distant past. Against the Gods chronicles the remarkable intellectual adventure that liberated humanity from oracles and soothsayers by means of the powerful tools of risk management that are available to us today. An extremely readable history of risk. -Barron's Fascinating ...this challenging volume will help you understand the uncertainties that every investor must face. -Money A singular achievement. -Times Literary Supplement There's a growing market for savants who can render the recondite intelligibly-witness Stephen Jay Gould (natural history), Oliver Sacks (disease), Richard Dawkins (heredity), James Gleick (physics), Paul Krugman (ecomics)-and Bernstein would mingle well in their company. -The Australian
- Author BiographyPETER L. BERNSTEIN is President of Peter L. Bernstein, Inc., economic consultants to institutional advisors and corporations. His semimonthly analysis of the capital markets and the real economy, Economics and Portfolio Strategy, is read by managers and owners of investments totaling over one trillion dollars. Mr. Bernstein is the author of many articles in the professional and popular press, as well as six books in economics and finance, including the bestselling Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street. He is the coeditor of Investment Management (Wiley), and was the first editor of The Journal of Portfolio Management.
- Author(s)Peter L. Bernstein
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication29/09/1998
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content Notefacsimiles
- Weight540 g
- Width162 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.