All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionThis unique collection of images details the travels of a German infantry division along the entire Western Front, where it fought from the start until the end of the war. Interspersed with the captions and photographs are brief summaries of the actions the division fought in, first against the French and then the British. What makes this book particularly interesting to British readers is the unique focus provided on battles many are already familiar with, such as the Somme, Flanders and Arras. Also covered are the initial combats with the French in the Vosges, an area about which little has been written in English. The photographs were chosen by the men of the division to form a commemorative book (a record of service), published in 1920, that detailed their experiences in the four years of war. None of the photographs have appeared in a British publication, so each will be fresh to the reader. Arranged chrologically, the illustrations show the changes behind the front as well as life on the line.The focus is largely on the photographs, taken by men of one the best divisions in the German Army, with a brief text that shows what they felt of their situation and where they went.The book provides a completely new look at life in the German Army during the war.
- Author BiographyDavid Bilton is a retired teacher who spends his time looking after his family, working as a University lecturer and researching the Great War. He is the prolific author of numerous books about the British Army, the Home Front and the German Army. His first book, The Hull Pals, became the BBC 2 series The Trench. Since he started writing he has contributed to many television and radio programmes. His interest in the Great War was ignited by his grandfather's refusal to talk about his experiences in Gallipoli and on the Western Front.
- Author(s)David Bilton
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note450 images
- Weight590 g
- Width170 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.