All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAgency and Participation in Childhood and Youth presents new critical engagement in conceptualising the roles of youth agency and participation in education, development and the pursuit of social justice. Theoretically, the book is framed within the paradigm of the capability approach, initially developed by Nobel Laureate, Amartya Sen, and further differentiated by others, including philosopher, Martha Nussbaum. The book unravels the complex relationships between the nature of youth agency and participation, in education, but also in wider political, ecomic and social arenas, and the potential of young people to expand their freedoms to lead lives they have reason to value. It is thus argued that ethical, sustainable development is contingent on the nature of youth agency and participation in schooling and further afield. Bringing together leading international experts researching children's capabilities, Agency and Participation in Childhood and Youth offers a unique exploration of links between exciting new areas of development in theory, research and practical applications of Sen and Nussbaum's ideas. The book addresses a significant gap in the literature drawing on empirical data from the UK, the USA, Jordan, Palestine, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Switzerland, New Zealand and beyond, with perspectives presented from both within and outside schools and other formal educational settings. Agency and Participation in Childhood and Youth is of particular interest to academics, teaching professionals, undergraduate and postgraduate students of education studies, social policy, youth and development studies.
- Author BiographyCaroline Sarojini Hart is Senior Lecturer in Education at Sheffield Hallam University, UK, and Affiliated Lecturer in Education at the University of Cambridge, UK. Mario Biggeri is Associate Professor of Development Economics at the University of Florence, Italy. Bernhard Babic is an independent social development consultant and researcher, and Senior Project Manager for Caritas, Germany.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight417 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byBernhard Babic,Caroline Sarojini Hart,Mario Biggeri
- Format DetailsHardback (stationery)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.44Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.