All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if t to love us, at least to hate one ather.' Cornelius Tacitus, Rome's greatest historian and the last great writer of classical Latin prose, produced his first two books in AD 98. He was inspired to take up his pen when the assassination of Domitian ended 'fifteen years of enforced silence'. The first products were brief: the biography of his late father-in-law Julius Agricola and an account of Rome's most dangerous enemies, the Germans. Since Agricola's claim to fame was that as goverr for seven years he had completed the conquest of Britain, begun four decades earlier, much of the first work is devoted to Britain and its people. The second is the only surviving specimen from the ancient world of an ethgraphic study. Each in its way has had immense influence on our perception of Rome and the rthern 'barbarians'. This edition reflects recent research in Roman-British and Roman-German history and includes newly discovered evidence on Tacitus' early career. ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful tes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- Author BiographyAnthony Birley was Professor of Ancient History at Manchester University 1974-1990. His most recent book is Hadrian, the Restless Emperor (1997).
- Author(s)Cornelius Tacitus
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/2009
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note3 maps
- Weight170 g
- Width128 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byAnthony Birley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.