Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionAgricultural Enlightenment explores the modernization of the rural ecomy in Europe through the lens of the Enlightenment. It focuses on the second half of the eighteenth century and emphasises the role of useful kwledge in the process of agrarian change and agricultural development. As such it invites ecomic historians to respond to the challenge issued by Joel Mokyr to look beyond quantitative data and to take seriously the argument that cultural factors, broadly understood, may have aided or hindered the evolution of agriculture in the early modern period ('what people knew and believed' had a direct bearing on their ecomic behaviour [Mokyr, The Enlightened Ecomy]). Evidence in support of the idea that a readily accessible supply of agricultural kwledge helps to explain the trajectory of the rural ecomy is drawn from all of the countries of Europe. The book includes two cases studies of rapid rural modernization in Scotland and Denmark where Agricultural Enlightenment was swiftly followed by full-scale Agricultural Revolution.
- Author BiographyPeter M. Jones is a graduate of the University of Leeds (BA) and the University of Oxford (DPhil) and has spent nearly the whole of his career as a teacher and researcher in the History Department of the University of Birmingham.
- Author(s)Peter M. Jones
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication07/01/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note8 black and white images
- Weight554 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.