All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.29
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionCenturies after his death, al-Ghazali remains one of the most influential figures of the Islamic intellectual tradition. Although he is best kwn for his Incoherence of the Philosophers, Moderation in Belief is his most profound work of philosophical theology. In it, he offers what scholars consider to be the best defense of the Ash'arite school of Islamic theology that gained acceptance within orthodox Sunni theology in the twelfth century, though he also diverges from Ash'arism with his more rationalist approach to the Qur'an. Together with The Incoherence of the Philosophers, Moderation in Belief informs many subsequent theological debates, and its influence extends beyond the Islamic tradition, informing broader questions within Western philosophical and theological thought. The first complete English edition of Moderation in Belief, this new antated translation by Aladdin M. Yaqub draws on the most esteemed critical editions of the Arabic texts and offers detailed commentary that analyzes and reconstructs the arguments found in the work's four treatises. Explanations of the historical and intellectual background of the texts also enable readers with a limited kwledge of classical Arabic to fully explore al-Ghazali and this foundational text for the first time. With the recent resurgence of interest in Islamic philosophy and the conflict between philosophy and religion, this new translation will be a welcome addition to the scholarship.
- Author BiographyAladdin M. Yaqub is associate professor of philosophy at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania. He is the author of The Liar Speaks the Truth and An Introduction to Logical Theory.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication22/10/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byAladdin M. Yaqub
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.