All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA darkly funny, surreal vel set in Chile and Peru, Albina and the Dog-Men is Alejandro Jodorowsky's sprawling modern myth in which sexual desire is a dangerous and generative force that mutates and transforms, rending the social and moral fabric of a small town. When a beautiful amnesiac albi giantess, Albina, and her protector, a tough woman called Crabby, arrive in a desert town, Albina's allure turns men into wild animals. Chased at the same time by a clubfoot criminal, Albina and Crabby must fend off their aggressors before the town consumes itself.
- Author BiographyAlejandro Jodorowsky was born to Ukrainian Jewish immigrants in Tocopilla, Chile. From an early age, he became interested in mime and theater; at the age of 23, he left for Paris to pursue the arts, and has lived there ever since. A friend and companion of Fernando Arrabal and Roland Topor, he founded the Panic movement and has directed several classic films of this style, including The Holy Mountain, El Topo and Santa Sangre. A mime artist, specialist in the art of tarot, and prolific author, he has written novels, poetry, short stories, essays, and over thirty successful comic books, working with such highly regarded comic book artists as Moebius and Bess. Restless Books will be publishing three of Jodorowsky's best-known books for the first time in English: Donde mejor canta un pajaro (Where the Bird Sings Best), El nino del jueves negro (The Son of Black Thursday), and Albina y los hombres perro (Albina and the Dog Men). Alfred MacAdam is professor of Latin American literature at Barnard College-Columbia University. He has translated works by Carlos Fuentes, Mario Vargas Llosa, Juan Carlos Onetti, Jose Donoso, and Jorge Volpi among others. He recently published an essay on the Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa included in the Cambridge Companion to Autobiography.
- Author(s)Alejandro Jodorowsky
- PublisherRegan Arts
- Date of Publication12/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRestless Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight230 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byAlfred MacAdam
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.03
- AU $12.61Trending at AU $18.61
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.