Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.52Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA New York Times Bestseller, and the inspiration for the hit Broadway musical Hamilton!Pulitzer Prize-winning author Ron Cherw presents a landmark biography of Alexander Hamilton, the Founding Father who galvanized, inspired, scandalized, and shaped the newborn nation. In the first full-length biography of Alexander Hamilton in decades, Ron Cherw tells the riveting story of a man who overcame all odds to shape, inspire, and scandalize the newborn America. According to historian Joseph Ellis, Alexander Hamilton is -a robust full-length portrait, in my view the best ever written, of the most brilliant, charismatic and dangerous founder of them all.- Few figures in American history have been more hotly debated or more grossly misunderstood than Alexander Hamilton. Cherw's biography gives Hamilton his due and sets the record straight, deftly illustrating that the political and ecomic greatness of today's America is the result of Hamilton's countless sacrifices to champion ideas that were often wildly disputed during his time. -To repudiate his legacy, - Cherw writes, -is, in many ways, to repudiate the modern world.- Cherw here recounts Hamilton's turbulent life: an illegitimate, largely self-taught orphan from the Caribbean, he came out of where to take America by storm, rising to become George Washington's aide-de-camp in the Continental Army, coauthoring The Federalist Papers, founding the Bank of New York, leading the Federalist Party, and becoming the first Treasury Secretary of the United States.Historians have long told the story of America's birth as the triumph of Jefferson's democratic ideals over the aristocratic intentions of Hamilton. Cherw presents an entirely different man, whose legendary ambitions were motivated t merely by self-interest but by passionate patriotism and a stubborn will to build the foundations of American prosperity and power. His is a Hamilton far more human than we've encountered before--from his shame about his birth to his fiery aspirations, from his intimate relationships with childhood friends to his titanic feuds with Jefferson, Madison, Adams, Monroe, and Burr, and from his highly public affair with Maria Reylds to his loving marriage to his loyal wife Eliza. And never before has there been a more vivid account of Hamilton's famous and mysterious death in a duel with Aaron Burr in July of 1804.Cherw's biography is t just a portrait of Hamilton, but the story of America's birth seen through its most central figure. At a critical time to look back to our roots, Alexander Hamilton will remind readers of the purpose of our institutions and our heritage as Americans. -Nobody has captured Hamilton better than Cherw- --The New York Times Book Review
- Author BiographyRon Chernow is the prize-winning author of six books and the recipient of the 2015 National Humanities Medal. His first book, The House of Morgan, won the National Book Award, Washington: A Life won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Biography, and Alexander Hamilton was the inspiration for the Broadway musical. His new biography, Grant, will be published in October 2017. Chernow lives in Brooklyn, New York.
- Author(s)Ron Chernow
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication29/03/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight998 g
- Width150 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.