All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Peter Stothard found himself stranded in the Egyptiancity of Alexandria in the winter of 2010, he set out to explorea nation on the brink of revolution. Guided by two native Egyptians, Stothard reawakens his life long obsession with the life and myth ofCleopatra while exploring the city and country she once ruled.Blending aspects of memoir, history, and travel narrative into anelegant and unique tapestry, Stothard uses the sights and sounds ofthe ancient city to reconnect with the experiences that shaped his life.Melancholy yet often humorous, Alexandria probingly deconstructs theenigma of modern Egypt with its uneasy mix of classical touchstonesand increasingly volatile Middle Eastern politics and offersa first hand glimpse into the fracturing state just before the TahrirSquare uprising and the start of the Arab Spring.
- Author BiographyPeter Stothard is Editor of the Times Literary Supplement and author of Spartacus Road. From 1992 to 2002 he was the Editor of The Times. In 2012 he was chairman of the judges for the Man Booker Prize.
- Author(s)Peter Stothard
- PublisherOverlook Press
- Date of Publication29/07/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOverlook Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight358 g
- Width153 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.