All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1944, Alfred Blalock, Helen Taussig, and Vivien Thomas revolutionized surgical treatment of the heart and nearby blood vesselsuthrough an improbable partnership among a white male surgeon, a white female physician, and an African-American male laboratory technician. Separately, each of these individuals was brilliant. Blalock discovered the cause and best treatment of the deadly medical condition called shock, which can occur after severe injury or loss of blood. Taussig essentially founded pediatric cardiology, the medical subspecialty dealing with children's heart ailments. And Thomas was an inventor, and to those who knew him, close to a surgical genius. It was the combination of their skills, however, that made medical history. Through their combined efforts, they found a solution to blue baby syndrome, which saved thousands of children's lives and showed that operating on the heart was possible. In this interesting new book, readers will be drawn into the work of these medical pioneers.
- Author BiographyLisa Yount is a graduate of Stanford University in English and creative writing. For approximately 45 years, she has written educational materials for young people. She has written or edited more than 50 books, nine of which have won awards or been included on most recommended lists. Yount's books for Facts On File and Chelsea House include Forensic Science, Modern Marine Science, Energy Supply, Patients' Rights in the Age of Managed Health Care, A to Z of Biologists , and many volumes in the Makers of Modern Science and Trailblazers in Science and Technology sets.
- Author(s)Lisa Yount
- PublisherChelsea House Publishers
- Date of Publication31/01/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleTrailblazers in Science and Technology
- Place of PublicationPA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChelsea House Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.