Algebra Survival Guide: A Conversational Guide for the Thoroughly Befuddled by Josh Rappaport (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.39Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by grey_elk_books_au_and_uk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $33.68+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIts secret that algebra gives students the jitters, and word problems give them the shakes. As a dastardly duo, the word problems of algebra are just about as nerve-wracking as anything in the teenage years. But w theres a new book that rescues students from this combination of confusion: the Algebra Survival Guide, Second Edition. Following on the success of the Algebra Survival Guides First Edition, written by longtime teacher/tutor Josh Rappaport, the Second Edition takes a hard look at algebras word problems and offers time-tested advice for cracking them. With a new 62-page chapter devoted to these word problems, the new edition tackles the ultimate math nightmares of the puberty years: problems involving rate, time and distance, work performed, and mixture formulas, among others. With twelve additional content chapters that explain fundamental and advanced areas of algebra, the 352-page Second Edition guides students to success in pre-algebra and Algebra I. The Guide features a unique question/answer format so students hear their own questions echoed in the text. The books answers, written in the voice of a friendly tutor, provide lucid explanation and answers, along with step-by-step instructions with explanations in English right next to the math steps. At the end of each one-page lesson, the book presents practice problems, giving students instant feedback on their grasp of the math. Additional chapter tests provide comprehensive checks for understanding. The new edition boasts an expanded glossary and index, and contains a navigation tool that helps students kw exactly where they are in the program. In addition, the Guide is adorned with lively illustrations by award-winning artist Sally Blakemore. These cartoons t only provide well-deserved comic relief for math learners, they also offer a visual way to grasp algebras challenging abstractions. (Example: to illustrate the Reflexive Property of a = a, the cartoon shows a sad x variable looking in the mirror while experiencing a bad hair day.) With all of these features, the Second Edition Algebra Survival Guide is ideal for homeschoolers, tutors and students striving for algebra excellence. The Second Edition also aligns with the current Common Core State Standards for Math, so its ideal for todays teachers, as well. Its content chapters tackle the trickiest topics of algebra: Properties, Sets of Numbers, Order of Operations, Absolute Value, Exponents, Radicals, Factoring, Cancelling, Solving Equations, and the Coordinate Plane. Loaded with thorough explanations, practice problems and answers, the new Algebra Survival Guide gives students the boost they need in a style they'll enjoy to master the skills of algebra.
- Author BiographyJosh Rappaport is the author of the Parents' Choice award-winning Algebra Survival Guide, the Algebra Survival Guide Workbook and PreAlgebra Blastoff. Josh is co-author with Trudy Bortz of the Card Game Roundup books. Josh has taught middle school and high school, and for the last 24 years has been president of the Now I Get It! Learning Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he teaches and tutors children of all ages. Josh and his wife Kathy also do SAT and ACT coaching by Skype for students across North America. Sally Blakemore, an award winning paper-engineer and book designer www.artyprojects.com, has illustrated for Esquire Magazine, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, Oppenheimer Funds; and books, for Singing Turtle Press, Perseus Press, Western National Parks Press, Gibbs Smith Books, North Carolina Press, Michigan Press, and Texas Press, to name a few. She lives in Santa Fe, NM.
- Author(s)Josh Rappaport
- PublisherSinging Turtle Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Maths, Science & Technical
- Place of PublicationSanta Fe, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSinging Turtle Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight984 g
- Width213 mm
- Height271 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Illustrator(s)Sally Blakemore
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.71
- AU $125.98Trending at AU $130.02
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $183.03
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.58
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $19.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.