All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionThis book's unique approach to the teaching of mathematics lies in its use of history to provide a framework for understanding algebra and related fields. With Algebra in Context, students will soon discover why mathematics is such a crucial part t only of civilization but also of everyday life. Even those who have avoided mathematics for years will find the historical stories both inviting and gripping. The book's lessons begin with the creation and spread of number systems, from the mathematical development of early civilizations in Babylonia, Greece, China, Rome, Egypt, and Central America to the advancement of mathematics over time and the roles of famous figures such as Descartes and Leonardo of Pisa (Fibonacci). Before long, it becomes clear that the simple origins of algebra evolved into modern problem solving. Along the way, the language of mathematics becomes familiar, and students are gradually introduced to more challenging problems. Paced perfectly, Amy Shell-Gellasch and J. B. Thoo's chapters ease students from topic to topic until they reach the twenty-first century. By the end of Algebra in Context, students using this textbook will be comfortable with most algebra concepts, including: different number bases; algebraic tation; methods of arithmetic calculation; real numbers; complex numbers; divisors; prime factorization; variation; factoring; solving linear equations; false position; solving quadratic equations; solving cubic equations; nth roots; set theory; one-to-one correspondence; infinite sets; figurate numbers; logarithms; exponential growth; and interest calculations.
- Author BiographyAmy Shell-Gellasch is an associate professor of mathematics at Montgomery College. She is the editor of Hands on History: A Resource for Teaching Mathematics, the author of In Service to Mathematics: The Life and Work of Mina Rees, and the coeditor of From Calculus to Computers: Using the Last 200 Years of Mathematics History in the Classroom. J. B. Thoo is a mathematics instructor at Yuba College.
- Author(s)Amy Shell-Gellasch,John Thoo
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication06/11/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note49, 28 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white line drawings, 9 maps
- Weight1293 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.