All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionThe technical difficulties of algebraic number theory often make this subject appear difficult to beginners. This undergraduate textbook provides a welcome solution to these problems as it provides an approachable and thorough introduction to the topic. Algebraic Number Theory takes the reader from unique factorisation in the integers through to the modern-day number field sieve. The first few chapters consider the importance of arithmetic in fields larger than the rational numbers. Whilst some results generalise well, the unique factorisation of the integers in these more general number fields often fail. Algebraic number theory aims to overcome this problem. Most examples are taken from quadratic fields, for which calculations are easy to perform. The middle section considers more general theory and results for number fields, and the book concludes with some topics which are more likely to be suitable for advanced students, namely, the analytic class number formula and the number field sieve. This is the first time that the number field sieve has been considered in a textbook at this level.
- Author BiographyFrazer Jarvis obtained his PhD from the University of Cambridge under the supervision of Richard Taylor in 1995. After postdoctoral periods in Strasbourg, Durham and Oxford, he has been a lecturer at Sheffield since 1998. His research has focused on modular forms and Galois representations over totally real fields, and he is currently interested in GSp(4).
- Author(s)Frazer Jarvis
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication24/06/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSpringer Undergraduate Mathematics Series
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight474 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.