All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis perennially popular Norton Critical Edition again reprints the 1897 editions of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass along with the 1876 edition of The Hunting of the Snark. Each text is fully antated and the original illustrations are included. An unusually rich Backgrounds section is arranged to correspond with three clearly defined periods in Lewis Carroll's life. Letters and diary entries interwoven within each period emphasize the biographical dimension of Carroll's writing. Readers gain an understanding of the author's family and education, the evolution of the Alice books, and Carroll's later years through his own words and through important scholarly work on his faith life and his relationships with women and with Alice Hargreaves and her family. Reflecting the wealth of new scholarship on Alice in Wonderland and Lewis Carroll published since the last edition, Donald Gray has chosen eleven new critical works while retaining five seminal works from the previous edition. Two early pieces-an essay by Charles Dickens and poem by Christina Rossetti-take a satirical look at children's literature. The nine new recent essays are by James R. Kincaid, Marah Gubar, Robert M. Polemus, Jean-Jacques Lecercle, Gilles Deleuze, Roger Taylor, Carol Mavor, Jean Gatteg, and Helena M. Pycior. The Selected Bibliography has been updated and expanded.
- Author BiographyLewis Carroll is a pseudonym of the Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, who was born on January 27, 1832, and died on January 14, 1898. His most famous works are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; its sequel, Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There; and The Hunting of the Snark. Donald Gray is Culbertson Chair Emeritus of English at Indiana University. He is the editor of the Norton Critical Editions of Alice in Wonderland and Pride and Prejudice and of the anthology Victorian Poetry. He has written extensively on Victorian poetry and fiction, popular journalism, and the history of literary publishing.
- Author(s)Lewis Carroll
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication21/05/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleNorton Critical Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight380 g
- Width129 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDonald J. Gray
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.37Trending at AU $30.92
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $56.63Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.