All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany millions kw and love the tale of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland , but how many kw the original story behind the famous book? It all began one 'golden afteron' in Oxford, in July 1862, when three young Liddell sisters set out on a boating trip, accompanied by the Reverends Robinson, Duckworth and Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. To keep the children amused, Dodgson, a diffident young maths tutor, began to tell a tale about an inquisitive youngster, Alice, and her escapades in an underground world. Dodgson spun out the 'interminable fairy-tale' until Alice Liddell - the heroine of the tale - implored him to write it down, and two tears later, on 26 November, 1864, he sent Alice an early 'Christmas gift for a dear child'.In this superb facsimile of Dodgson's manuscript - w one of the British Library's most treasured possessions - modern readers can enjoy the expressive script and vibrant illustrations of the original. In an accompanying commentary, Sally Brown sketches a portrayal of Dodgson, and traces the stages through which the story passed as it was revised, expanded, illustrated by the Punch cartoonist John Tenniel and finally published as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland , under the celebrated pen-name Lewis Carroll.
- Author BiographyLewis Carroll studied at Christ Church, Oxford and went on to become a mathematics lecturer there from 1855 to 1881. Lewis Carroll's most famous works are Alice 's Adventures in Wonderland and the sequel Alice Through the Looking-Glass, which contains the classic nonsense poem The Jabberwocky.
- Author(s)Lewis Carroll
- PublisherThe British Library Publishing Division
- Date of Publication01/01/2015
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe British Library Publishing Division
- Content Note42
- Weight318 g
- Width124 mm
- Height187 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.47
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $16.38
- AU $19.46Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.