Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.40
- AU $20.28Trending at AU $23.22
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $46.12
About this product
- DescriptionOn a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, to celebrate her fortieth birthday, Laura Fraser confronts the unique trajectory of her life. Divorced and childless in her thirties, she found solace in the wanderlust that had always directed her heart-and found love and comfort in the arms of a dashing Frenchman. Their Italian affair brought her back to herself-but w she wonders if her passion for travel (and for short-lived romantic rendezvous) has deprived her of what she secretly wants most from life: a husband, a family, a home. When her Parisian lover meets her in Oaxaca and gives her news that he's found someone new, Laura is stunned and hurt. Now, it seems, she has thing but her own independence for company-and, at forty, a lot more wrinkles on her face and fewer years of fertility. How is Laura going to reconcile what seem to be two opposite desires: for adventure, travel, great food, and new experiences, but also a place to call home-and a loving pair of arms to greet her there? So she globe hops. What else is a travel writer to do? From Argentina to Peru, Naples to Paris, she basks in the glow of new cultures and local delicacies, always on the lookout for the one who might become a lifelong companion. But when a terrible incident occurs while she's on assignment in the South Pacific, Laura suddenly finds herself more aware of her vulnerability and becomes afraid of traveling. It seems as if she might lose the very thing that has given her so much pleasure in her life, t to mention the career she has built for herself as a world traveler and chronicler of far-flung places. Finding herself again will be both more difficult and more natural than she imagined. Ultimately, Laura realizes the most important journey she must take is an internal one. And the tale of how she reaches that place will captivate every woman who has ever yearned for a different life.
- Author BiographyLaura Fraser is a San Francisco-based journalist and the author of the New York Times bestseller An Italian Affair and Losing It. Her articles have been featured in the New York Times, O, the Oprah Magazine, Gourmet, Vogue, Mother Jones, Health, and numerous other magazines, as well as anthologies. Laura has taught writing at local universities and national workshops. She works with several other San Francisco writers and filmmakers in a collective called the Grotto, where she also regularly teaches classes. Kirsten Potter, a graduate of the Boston University School for the Arts, has performed on stage, film, and television, including roles on Medium, Bones, and Judging Amy. An award-winning audiobook narrator, Kirsten has won AudioFile Earphones Awards for her reading of The Snowball by Alice Schroeder and her performance as Barbara in George Bernard Shaw's Major Barbara. Her other titles include The Unthinkable by Amanda Ripley, Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson, Sammy's House by Kristen Gore, and Madapple by Christina Meldrum, which was a Booklist Editors' Choice for Best Audiobook 2008. Kirsten has received recognition from the American Academy of Achievement and the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts, as well as numerous regional awards.
- Author(s)Laura Fraser
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication26/07/2010
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date04/02/2017
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Kirsten Potter
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time480
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.