All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $15.91
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
About this product
- DescriptionJim Godbolt first emerged on the British jazz scene as ufficial manager of George Webb's Dixielanders in the late 1940s. Throughout the trad boom he was an agent and club manager, and his story also encompasses the pop revolution of the early sixties when, uncharacteristically, he enjoyed a brief taste of success as agent of the Swinging Blue Jeans. In 1971, Godbolt retired from the music business in order to become a writer. His memoirs are packed with hilarious anecdotes and accurate portraits of British jazz stars such as George Melly, Sandy Brown, Humphrey Lyttelton and Ronnie Scott. With his rewned humour and insight, he recalls his years as an electricity meter reader, exiled from the jazz world and struggling for recognition as a writer. The final chapters chart his return to eminence in British jazz, becoming by dint of stubborn application a published author and editor of Jazz at Ronnie Scott's.
- Author BiographyJim Godbolt became manager of George Webb's Dixielanders in 1946 after demobilization from the Royal Navy. He ran a band agency with Lyn Dutton and Humphrey Lyttelton in 1951 and formed his own agency in 1952, representing Mick Mulligan's Magnolia Jazz Band, the Sandy Brown-Al Fairweather All-Stars and various pop groups. He left the entertainment business in 1971 to concentrate on a career in writing and supported himself by working as a meter reader. In 1979 he founded Jazz at Ronnie Scott's, the house magazine of Ronnie Scott's Club which he edited until 2006. His other works include A History of Jazz in Britain 1919-50, also republished by Northway, A History of Jazz in Britain 1950-70 and The World of Jazz in Printed Ephemera and Collectibles.
- Author(s)Jim Godbolt
- PublisherNorthway Publications
- Date of Publication02/04/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNorthway Publications
- Content Note20 pages photos and drawings
- Weight290 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.