All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArexia is one of the most puzzling illnesses of our time. Recent decades have seen a growth in the disorder which w affects more than one in 100 women. This book presents compelling new data from 104 arexics that challenges established opinion about what kind of people contract the disorder. Writing from a sociological perspective, the author asks if medical definitions of arexia always reflect patients experiences and if the stereotype of the arexic as a fat phobic, middle-class adolescent is genuinely supported by data. By combining moving testimony in patients own words together with demographic findings and sociological comment, the author demonstrates that all kinds of women from all sorts of backgrounds can and do develop arexia. The author offers a new perspective that demands a more inclusive definition of the disorder, which reflects the moving accounts presented in this book. She shows that the causes of arexia are as varied as the patients who experience it.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Andree Dignon is a Senior Lecturer in Research Methods in the Department of Nursing and Midwifery Practice at the University of Coventry. During the 1980s and early 1990s she was employed as a researcher in a psychiatric hospital where she contributed to research in the area of eating disorders. For the past 10 years she has taught research modules to dieticians, nurses and other health professionals, and has continued to publish in the area of mental health and anorexia.
- Author(s)Andree Dignon
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2007
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight390 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.44Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.