All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn June 1939 Annemarie Schwarzenbach and fellow writer Ella Maillart set out from Geneva in a Ford, heading for Afghanistan. The first women to travel Afghanistan's Northern Road, they fled the storm brewing in Europe to seek a place untouched by what they considered to be Western neuroses. The Afghan journey documented in All the Roads are Open is one of the most important episodes of Schwarzenbach's turbulent life. Her incisive, lyrical essays offer a unique glimpse of an Afghanistan already touched by the fateful laws kwn as progress , a remote yet sensitive nerve centre of world politics caught amid great powers in upheaval. In her writings, Schwarzenbach conjures up the desolate beauty of landscapes both internal and external, reflecting on the longings and loneliness of travel as well as its grace. Maillart's account of their trip, The Cruel Way , stands as a classic of travel literature, and, w available for the first time in English, Schwarzenbach's memoir rounds out the story of the adventure.
- Author BiographyAnnemarie Schwarzenbach (1908-42) was a writer, journalist, and photographer who worked periodically as an archaeologist. Isabel Fargo Cole is a US-born, Berlin-based writer and translator.
- Author(s)Annemarie Schwarzenbach
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication07/10/2011
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleSB - The Swiss List
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight328 g
- Width137 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byIsabel Fargo Cole
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.