Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.71Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the Outstanding Sports Writing Award, Cross British Sports Book Awards 2015 Shortlisted for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year award. One winter's night in 1976, over 20 million people in Britain watched John Curry skate to Olympic glory on an ice rink in Austria. Many millions more watched around the world. Overnight he became one of the most famous men on the planet. He was awarded the OBE. He was chosen as BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Curry had changed ice skating from marginal sport to high art. And yet the man was - and would always remain - an absolute mystery to a world that had been dazzled by his gift. Surely, men's skating was supposed to be Cossack-muscular, t sensual and ambiguous like this. Curry himself was an often-tortured man of labyrinthine complexity. For the first time, Alone untangles the extraordinary web of his toxic, troubled, brilliant - and short - life. It is a story of childhood nightmares, furious ambition, sporting genius, lifelong rivalries, homophobia, Cold War politics, financial ruin and deep personal tragedy. Alone reveals the restless, impatient, often dark soul of a man whose words could lacerate, whose skating invariably moved audiences to tears, and who - after succumbing to AIDS, as so many of his fellow artists and friends did - died of a heart attack aged just 44.
- Author BiographyBill Jones started his working life as a journalist with various Northern provincial newspapers. In the early 80s he joined Granada Television in Manchester where he worked on literally hundreds of documentaries for the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and many others - including an award-winning film about the contents of Frank Sinatra's coffin - before embarking on a writing career after almost three decades in broadcasting. His first book - The Ghost Runner - won him The Times Best New Writer in the 2012 British Sports Book Awards. It was also shortlisted for the William Hill award. Alone is his second book. Born in Bridlington, the author currently lives in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire, where - despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary - he insists that his ancestry is Welsh.
- PrizesWinner of British Sports Book Awards: Outstanding Sports Writing Award 2015.
- Author(s)Bill Jones
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight703 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.